Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Late Night Thoughts on the San Antonio Spurs

For the most part I've greatly enjoyed where I grew up. I am under the undying belief that the northeast region of the United States has everything anyone could ever want and the rest of the world may just revolve around it. I get all four seasons, I'm within driving distance of at least 4 or 5 major US cities, the landscape of suburban Philadelphia (borderline rural, shout out to Unionville) is gorgeous but there's some part of me that always wishes that I was born in San Antonio. For those of you that know me, you may be surprised at this. I'm not really into the whole accented, hokey, immensely prideful of your state, Texas forever thing that seems to be going on down there. But I am really into basketball and good basketball at that.


My somewhat new found love of the San Antonio Spurs is at least partially born from the routine beat-downs I put on unsuspecting foes with them in NBA 2K14. I suppose it also has to do with my eternal love for Danny Green thanks to the monstrous, disrespectful slam he threw down on the pompous, court-slapping, walking stereotype that is Duke's Greg Paulus. I also have an affinity for one-dimensional, pasty white jump-shooters like Matt Bonner. And let's not forget about the most creative pick and roll passer--and the most glorious bald spot--I've ever seen in Manu Ginobili. From Tim Duncan to Kawhi Leonard to Tony Parker, and even the towel-waving Aussie Patty Mills, I've come to hold all of these Spurs close to my heart. So what clip have I chosen to show you? A silky smooth Parker floater? An exquisite Duncan post move? Not even in the slightest. What you'll see below is three generational superstars who want nothing more than to win and win often, giggling like 12-year-olds thanks to a perfectly-executed prank on the sidelines of what I can only assume is yet another blowout. Because this team isn't like any other team. They know what it takes to win including a level of comfort with one another; a camaraderie and friendship that transcends basketball. So enjoy the video below, and enjoy the San Antonio Spurs because who knows if we'll ever see another true team like this one.






No comments:

Post a Comment